Alpha Chi Omega History
Alpha Chi Omega was founded on October 15, 1885, at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. At a time when women were just beginning to occupy seats in college classrooms, seven female students were encouraged by Professor James Hamilton Howe, dean of DePauw’s School of Music, to form a women’s society within the school.
Inspired, our Founders formed the 10th women’s fraternity in the country—the first to be in a music school. Sure they would be the last, the Founders chose "Alpha" and "Omega"—the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet—to form their name, with “Kai” (meaning “and”) in the middle, later changed to the Greek letter "Chi."
Dedicated to advancing “the intellectual, social and moral culture” of its members, our Founders’ vision has grown to include our women’s Fraternity, the Alpha Chi Omega Foundation, the National Housing Corporation, and Pearl Stone Partners. Together, they serve more than 230,000 members in more than 140 collegiate chapters and nearly 200 alumnae chapters nationwide.
Zeta Nu Chapter History
The Zeta Nu chapter of Alpha Chi Omega was founded at Texas A&M University on May 8, 1981. Currently, the Zeta Nu chapter has 296 Real. Strong. Women.
The Alpha Chi Omega House located at 1505 Olympia Way was built in 1988 and has been updated multiple times over the years.
The Executive Board voted in 2020 to approve the newest renovations which began May 8, 2021, and expected to be completed by the beginning of Fall 2021 Recruitment. We are excited to unveil the new updates to our 2020 initiate class as well as our PNM's this recruitment.
Symbols & Traditions
Real. Strong. Women.®
“Together let us seek the heights.”
Hera, guardian of women
Domestic violence awareness, prevention and education.
Grecian lyre, reflecting our musical heritage
Scarlet and olive green
Coat of Arms: